Sunday, May 23, 2010

La Paz

La Paz is the highest capital city in the world (well remember it's the administrative capital) at 3660 meters. There are mountains entirely surrounding the city with Mt. Illimani, a triple peaked, snowy capped beast looming at 6402 meters. There are buildings and houses built right into these jagged and rugged canyon walls. La Paz reminds me a bit of Quito but in since it is set inside of a canyon, and not a valley, there does not seem to be as much sprawl. There are also a bunch of plazas, parks, murals and open spaces - much more than Sucre, plus it has much wider sidewalks than Sucre as well.

Here are some views from the rooftop terrace at my hostel:















I love being up at altitude. I feel so goooooooood!! Clean, cool, brisk air. Ahhh life is good!















Now I must say I have heard a whole bunch of horror stories of bus rides and travel in Bolivia. I feel very fortunate that my bus rides have been good so far. But must I say I got a shocker riding from Sucre to La Paz when I saw 2 people get into the luggage compartment and ride 3 1/2 hours to Potosi. Then in Potosi, a mom and her son got into the luggage compartment and rode to La Paz some 9 hours. Argh! At our one and only stop, I saw 6 people get out of another luggage compartment. WOW! All the people were indigenous so it might be their only means of transport. Although everyone does have a choice. I saw other indigenous people turning the driver down. I guess it just depends on how desperate one is to travel to the other place. Now I did not see any exchange of money for these down under riders, so I am hoping and praying they rode this way for free. I did see other people pay the driver to stand in the front compartment of the bus.

Some more views from the mirador















No comments:

Post a Comment