Monday, February 22, 2010

Chile

I love Chile - it has some of the most spectacular scenery and outdoor adventures possible in anything that I have seen in North America and the countries I have visited in South America so far. It is very similar to the states in that it has it all these different geographic regions (minus the jungle) in this long and narrow country. I must say I have breathed many a deep breath and sigh of relief to be back in amongst the deep green forests and mountains.

Santiago was a nice city. It probably has the cleanest, easiest and nicest metro or subway system that I have scene. It was a pretty city with many green spaces to enjoy. Granted i did not stay long in the city. I quickly went to Valparaiso on the coast. It was a great city right against the coast so i got to walk to the beach from downtown. There were a lot of artisans selling their crafts and food. I loved it. As I was walking around the city, a thought crossed my mind that I wanted to live abroad for a year. Now I know most of you are thinking, Laura, you are living abroad for a year and that is correct. But in Valpo, I now know, I want to live in the same place for a year - Get a job, make weekend trips and really get to know the culture and language. I am loving this year but I am being exposed to sooo much - different cultures, different dialects etc. I am starting to get the hang of Chilean Spanish - with no s's and only the beginning half of the word being said. In the North, I actually understood most of what the people said. But as I travel south boy oh boy, Vamo for vamose, ven for venga etc.

The bus trips have been long but much better than what I have experienced up north in other countries. The movies are much better - a lot less violent and more appropriate for people of all ages. I have now seen Avatar 4 times - twice in Spanish with Spanish subtitles, once in Spanish with nglish subtitles and ince in English with Spanish subtitles. Most of the long bus trips provide blankets and pillows (the blankets are actually warm and quite thick) and some provide some meals (they are decent but I can compare them to airline food). I have had some wonderful conversations on the long journeys with different folks and I am really thankful for the time to sit and share with people that I normally am not exposed to.

The food has been great as well - ceviche!!!! MMMMMMmmmmmm, fresh salmon, red wine - YUUMMMMMMM, olives, grapes, cheese. It is a good life!

I got to meet back up with Leslie before she returns to the States. She has one more week so we spent a few days together exploring the Lakes district - Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas. Gosh there are sooooo many mountains, volcanoes, lakes and hot springs around here. It really is an outdoor enthusiast's paradise!!! It was great seeing Leslie again and comparing/sharing our stories and adventures here in South America. The next time I see her will be stateside.
















1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    We're thinking of you and we miss you. Can't wait to hear from you again soon! we have many positive thoughts and prayers going down your way.

    BTW: Mylah is now walking and very cute as you already know.

    Love and prayers,

    Tim, Kelly, Fish, Zy, and My

    ReplyDelete