Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bienvenidos a Ecuador















We took a bus to Ipiales and then a taxi to the border where we had to walk across this cement bridge over this beautiful river. I now have another stamp on my passport :-)


Ecuador - I love it already!! I am in Otavalo which is a small town of less than 100,000 people and still north of the equator and Quito. It is incredibly beautiful here - there are at least 3 volcanoes surrounding the town with heights of up to 14,000 feet. It is clean, fresh and awesome!!

I am going to another language school which is great. I am in class 4 hours a day and it is really intensive because it is all one on one. I am staying with a family that I love. They have 3 children who are 14, 6 and 3 years old. The 14 year old has down's syndrome. They are really loving, open and only speak Spanish. I am getting totally immersed in Spanish and am loving it!! Leslie, Katja and I have gone out in the evening and we have spoken spanish. It is great!

Otavalo has open markets everyday. They have such incredible crafts here - jewelry, clothing, paintings, instruments etc. There is so much love, beauty and color in the crafts that the first day I had tears in my eyes for at least a half an hour.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura! Hope you have a good Thanksgiving. What email are you using? I have a whole story to tell you about how something you wrote about inspired me to make a change and what happened then!

    From Kaycee: "The church looks like a castle. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving there? What holidays do they celebrate?"

    ReplyDelete